Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Organizing my Kindle Books: Numbered Collections

If you own a Kindle of any kind, at some point you'll need to organize your books, if you have more than two books anyway. I have over 300 books at the time of this post.

 I download what I like to read and I have two other family members who have their devices (Kindles and Kindle Apps) registered with my Amazon account simply because I keep them supplied with good books to read in their favorite genres too. 

A lot of the over 300 books are free, some are paid and two are library books. Here's what's in my 'Reading Now' collection.

The two Richard Castle Books, Heat Wave and Frozen Heatare both library books. Somewhere My Lass was free at Amazon when I purchased it. Crescendo (The Hush, Hush Saga)is a paid book from Amazon and A Man for the Summer is still free on Amazon.




That's what (above) my Kindle Reading Collection Category looks like inside. This (below) is what all of my (few) Kindle Collections look like. 





When I open my Kindle this (above) is the first page I see. The first collection holds books I'm currently reading. I gave each collection a number from 1 (most often accessed) to 7 (least often accessed). That's the static order in which the collections are displayed. The best thing about this way of organizing kindle collections is that it doesn't change, unless I choose to sort the books using other options. 



So when I download new books, they will be shifted to show up after my 7 collections. The way to make that happen is to sort by  'All Items' (My Items) and 'Collections'.       


So far, I only see the need for seven collections:

  1. Reading Now
  2. Bibles
  3. How-To
  4. Health (exercise, diet, etc.)
  5. Kids
  6. Apps
  7. Recipes (cookbooks)

After Collections, I have all the other genre books that don't fit in any of these categories. The only collection those 'other books' will be in is the 'Reading Now' collection.



Why don't I have all of the books in collections?



I tried that. It was maddening! If I read books strictly from two or three genres that would be easy but I don't. Many books belong in more that one genre but which of those genres describe the book best? Does anyone even know how many genres are possible?! Sheesh.   

When I needed a new book instead of going to a genre collection for a book, it's more fun not being too sure sometimes (if the cover or title is not obvious). Also I branch out more from my favorite genre when I don't pigeon hole books into a genre collection. I'll read a wider variety when I'm going on title and cover. 

Now when I'm ready for a new book, I go through the 55 (or so) pages of books in 'cover view'. 

Then when I find a book, I immediately add it to the 'Reading Now' collection.   

So that's how I organize my Kindle Paperwhite Books into collections.


No comments:

Post a Comment