Tuesday, April 1, 2014

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0 GHz - Upgraded: CPU Fan, Power Supply, Video Card

I purchased my ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 processor, new in 2007. Recently the computer started shutting off at random times and under varying load. It might have been on for a few minutes or two hours before it shut down. Then it would make three or four beeps without starting windows. The CPU fan seemed to hesitate although the two case fans, video card fan and power supply fan seemed to run smoothly. So I decided the CPU fan was worn out and because of that the processor was overheating. 

After a lot of researching, I replaced the ....


  • Power supply because I added another case fan and upgraded the video card 
  • CPU fan because it was hesitating and allowing the processor to possibly overheat
  • Video card because my GeForce 7600GT was not getting the job done on new games
  • Thermal paste between the heat sink and processor in to improve heat transfer from the processor to the heat sink. I didn't have to apply paste because the new heat sink came with pre-applied paste. 
I purchased the power supply and CPU fan from Newegg.com and the video card from Ebay.com.









These new parts installed without any problems on my ancient motherboard. I'm still not sure what caused my computer to shut down, beep and eventually to stop powering on at all but I haven't had any problems, not even a hiccup since upgrading. I really think it was overheating from the slow CPU fan and the old thermal paste and/or it could have been the power supply malfunctioning too.

Looks like I'll be keeping my ancient but faithful motherboard for a while longer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment